Minutes September 10th, 2009
WESTCHESTER LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting
September 10, 2009
White Plains Public Library
Present: Diane Batemarco, Aurora Cruz, Ann-Marie Cutul, Karyn DeLuca, Ed Falcone, Dan Glauber, Harriet Huang, John Monahan, Cathy Paulsen, Sharon Rothman, Judith Rovenger, and Susan Thaler
Excused: Zahra M. Baird, Francene Costello, Maxine Grandison, Jodie Hopkins, James Leftwich, Michelle Meltzer, Srivalli Rao, Carolyn Reznick, and Karen Zielinski
The meeting came to order at 10:15. Motion (Falcone/Monahan) to accept the Minutes from April 30 and June 11, 2009, passed.
· Rothman is updating the WLA Board of Directors list for 2009-2010 and asked for any corrections or changes. Batemarco will replace Monahan as a Waldo representative. Rothman will forward the updated Board list to Tim Baird to post on the WLA web page.
· Rothman reported that she had brainstormed with Zahra M. Baird about possible programs and events and read off a list of ideas. She urged board members to recruit new members to the organization and contribute their own ideas for programming.
· Vice president Thaler inquired if members contributing to WLA programs had to be part of the board and attend meetings, but the consensus was no.
· Falcone reported that as of September 9, 2009, WLA had $9,122.06 in the Checking Account and $30,004.37 in the Savings Account with a combined total of $39,126.43.
· Rao was excused. President Rothman will ask Rao to prepare a press release stressing the fact that you don’t have to work in a library to become a member of the organization. Rothman further asked for a volunteer to prepare a fact sheet about WLA’s activities.
Web Administration Committee:
· Rothman will ask Tim Baird to post the corrected list of Board members and officers as soon as it is finalized.
· Batemarco inquired if she should recruit one or two speakers for the Annual Conference. No final decision was made, but the Board agreed that two speakers worked out well at our last Conference.
· Paulsen mentioned that Zahra M. Baird had a number of ideas for potential speakers and programs.
Youth Services Section:
· Rovenger reported that there will be a Mock Awards program in January of 2010 and a Performers’ Showcase program later in March.
· Glauber reported that Amy Paulin no longer chairs the Library Committee in the New York State Assembly. Monahan is a member of NYLA’s legislative committee and will keep Glauber informed of any significant developments. Rothman asked Glauber to investigate legislators’ voting records and stands on libraries with the aim of producing a public fact sheet.
· Huang reported that Pam Thornton will help out again with the new WLA Directory scheduled to be published in 2010. Thornton will update the public and school library sections, and Huang will do the academic library listings.
· Rothman read a list of ideas for future programs that she and Zahra M. Baird had come up with together. Rothman will contact the Vintage Bar & Restaurant in White Plains about the possibility of a salsa event in the beginning of November.
· DeLuca will investigate the possibility of an author event the last week in January. Paulsen will check if the Chappaqua auditorium is free, Rothman will check White Plains and Cruz will check the Yonkers Will Library auditorium availability.
· The WLA Social event with the Trudell Scholarship award ceremony will be held the last week in February.
· March 19 has been reserved for the annual Bowling event.
· The Annual Conference will be held Friday, May 7, 2010, at the Doubletree Hotel in Tarrytown.
· Z. M. Baird was excused but sent an email report to the Board. She has contacted Lee Rainie, Director of the Pew Internet & American Life Project, and he is willing to speak on a multitude of topics. Other potential speakers are Jack Martin and Carrie Mason-Draffen. Z. M. Baird also suggests Adriana Trigiani to be the keynote or luncheon speaker, as well as a speaker in a Teen session. She further proposes that Trigiani have a book signing.
· Board members are urged to suggest a conference theme and email all with their ideas.
The meeting was adjourned (Monahan/Cruz) at 11:55 A.M.
Respectfully submitted by Ann-Marie Cutul
All meetings will be held 10 A.M. – 12 Noon at the White Plains Public Library
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Tuesday, December 1, 2009