WESTCHESTER LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting
March 5, 2009
Excused: Tim Baird, Zahra M. Baird, Kate Colquitt, Harriet Huang, Opal B. Lindsay, Michelle Meltzer, John Monahan, Cathy Paulsen and Karen Zielinski
· Leftwich asked if meeting at the White Plains Library was convenient for everyone. All agreed, and it was decided to hold future meetings at White Plains. Leftwich also inquired about adding members to the Board, and Reznick mentioned that she knew someone who might be interested in joining the Support Staff section.
· Falcone reported that as of February 27, 2009, the WLA Checking Account had $18,778.58 and the Savings Account $19,861.78. Falcone has also filed a WLA income tax statement with the IRS. This is a new requirement, and another filing will be necessary this summer.
· Rao reported that WLA has 150 members. She said academic librarians were less likely to renew, and she will send out a special email renewal notice to the ones who had not renewed their membership. The Board discussed ways to add members, and Reznick volunteered to contact WLS for permission to post the WLA Membership form with the Annual Conference flyer.
· Rao may be away the next three weeks but will be back April 3 (April 6 at work). She will email the list of WLA members to the Board.
· Reznick reported that the O’Malley’s Social February 5 was a great success. The Board agreed to repeat it next year, also with storytelling.
· Batemarco reported that all is in order for the Conference and that she has sent her speaker’s AV equipment information to Cruz.
Youth Services Section:
· Rovenger reported that the WLA/WLS Performers Showcase at the White Plains Library March 3 was a great success. Contact information is posted on the WLA home page, and some of the handouts will also be posted on the WLS Children Librarians’ blog.
Public Relations Committee:
· Meltzer was excused. Leftwich extended kudos to her for the excellent Conference flyers. The entire Board expressed its heartfelt thanks to Meltzer.
· Glauber reported that sign-up for Lobby Day March 10 is going well. There will be 4-5 buses going to Albany. Glauber has bought snacks and water for the bus on behalf of WLA. He will also start calling legislators to invite them to the Annual Conference. Hopefully, Glauber will be able to invite some in person on Lobby Day. Legislators present at the Conference will be acknowledged on a special poster board.
Washington Irving Adult Book Selection Committee:
· De Luca displayed the brochure with the final book selections. 7,500 copies will be printed together with a number of posters and 1,000 stickers. A portion of these will be distributed to Westchester Adult Services librarians with a cover letter asking them to put up a display with award winning books.
· Annual Conference attendees will also receive brochures with specially ordered “Washington Irving pens.” De Luca will contact the Pleasantville Village Bookstore about arrangements for selling the award winning books at the Conference.
· Nine authors have accepted the invitation to be part of a Conference workshop to be moderated by Z. M. Baird. Each author will talk about his or her book and read a selection, followed by a Q and A session.
· The expenses for producing all the materials will be about $1,000 to be paid by WLA.
· The Board commended De Luca and her committee for all their work.
· Rao will send out an email with the Conference flyer and Speaker biographies within the next couple of days.
· John Sexton will only have a morning program. The afternoon program will feature Francine Vernon in a workshop titled “Math Matters in Libraries.”
· All workshop organizers should let Rothman know if their speakers will attend breakfast and/or lunch. They should also notify Falcone about speaker honoraria.
· Workshop organizers should send all AV equipment needs to Cruz. To keep costs down, Board members are encouraged to bring laptops, microphones, cords, etc. Please let Cruz know what you are able to bring.
· Cutul will order 500 legal size envelopes. Rothman will order nametags, bracelets, and raffle tickets.
· Cutul will start soliciting raffle prizes and appreciates assistance from Board members.
· Rothman suggested giving out free raffle tickets in addition to selling two tickets for a dollar.
· Cutul suggested making a poster board listing donors and raffle prizes.
WLA Slate 2009-2010:
· Leftwich asked Board members for nominations for Vice President/President-Elect.
The meeting was adjourned (Cruz/Rovenger) at 11:20 A.M.
Respectfully submitted by Ann-Marie Cutul
Next two meetings:
Date: Thursday, April 2 and April 30, 2009
Place: White Plains Public Library
Meeting Room B on the 2nd floor
Time: 10 A.M. – Noon
Note: The library opens at 10 A.M. If you are early, please let security that you are going to a meeting and they will let you go upstairs.