Minutes March 19th, 2008
Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting
March 19, 2008
The College of New Rochelle
Present: Diane Batemarco, Aurora Cruz, Ann-Marie Cutul, Maxine Grandison, Jodie Hopkins, Opal B. Lindsay, Cathy Paulsen, Srivalli Rao, Jennifer L. Ransom, and Ed Falcone
Excused: Tim Baird, Zahra M. Baird, Cheryl Berent, Patrick Callahan, Tata Canuelas, Rebecca Eller, Harriet Huang, Dulce Juarbe, James Leftwich, John Monahan, Carolyn Reznick, Sara Rodgers, Judith Rovenger, and Karen Zielinski
The meeting came to order at 10:15 A.M. Motion (Ransom/Cruz) to accept the Minutes from February 28, 2008, with some minor revisions, passed.
· Lindsay welcomed Ed Falcone, Deputy Director of the Yonkers Riverfront Library to the meeting. Falcone has accepted the nomination for WLA Treasurer for 2008-2009.
· Lindsay also mentioned that the Annual Conference morning speaker Jeffrey Cannell will need no honorarium.
Cannell is Deputy Commissioner for Cultural Education of NY State Department of Education.
· Cutul reported on behalf of Rodgers who was excused. As of February 29, 2008, the Checking Account had a closing balance of $16,587.09 and the Savings Account $19,827.04.
· Rao will send e-mail renewals this week to all 2006 and 2007 members who have not joined WLA yet. Board members who have not renewed or joined WLA will receive a gentle reminder. Rao would like Annual Conference flyers and registration information by the week of April 1st for e-mail distribution and a surface mailing if necessary.
· Rao will be away at a Conference in Salt Lake City 4/22-4/30 and will miss the April Board meeting.
Web Administration Committee:
· Cutul and Batemarco have examined the WLA webpage page for errors and corrections and notified Webmaster Tim Baird. Batemarco discovered some minor grammatical errors in the Bylaws, and the Board voted to make the corrections. Cutul will retype the Bylaws and forward them to Tim Baird.
· Paulsen reported that the Reference program “Marketing, Customer Service, and Technology for 21st Century Libraries” is in place for the Annual Conference.
· Lindsay asked Paulsen to get in touch with Berent, who was excused, about the other Reference workshop that Berent is arranging for the Annual.
· Batemarco reported that Beth Evans, the College Section speaker at the Annual Conference, has changed the title of her talk to the following: “From Dress Casual to Eye Candy: Social Networking with the Public.” Batemarco has forwarded blurbs to Webmaster Tim Baird and Public Relations Chair Rebecca Eller.
· Batemarco also raised the issue of workshop evaluations resulting in a discussion of evaluations in paper copy versus an online survey. The Board agreed on providing both an evaluation form in the Conference packets, as well as an online survey. Cutul will contact Tracey Jackson to set up the one online.
Youth Services Section:
· Ransom read a report by Z. M. Baird who was excused. The WLA/WLS Performers Showcase was a success with 54 library workers in attendance and thirteen performers. The Showcase was organized by Tata Canuelas, Marci Dressler, and Zahra M. Baird with assistance from Judith Rovenger and John Sexton from WLS. Pictures and a list of performers will be posted on the WLA website later this week.
· Jon Scieszka, author of Smash! Crash! (Jon Scieszka’s Trucktown), may be able to speak at the Annual Conference as “the first National Ambassador of Young People’s Literature.” The second program is a panel of speakers, and it is morphing into non-book collections and programming for Youth Services.
· Z.M. Baird is no longer Co-Chair of the Youth Services Committee. Tata Canuelas will be sole Chair for now. Z.M. Baird will be available for consultation.
Public Relations Committee:
· Eller has posted a “Save the Date” notice about the Annual Conference and a picture of the keynote speaker on the WLA website. Program arrangers are urged to contact Eller so she can make up more blurbs and Conference flyers.
· Cutul reported that Lobby Day, March 11, was very successful. Librarians, support staff, library board members and trustees from Westchester and neighboring counties shared a bus to Albany. Unfortunately, Legislation Chair Juarbe was unable to attend.
Professional Development Committee:
· Cutul reported on behalf of Zielinski who was excused. The deadline for applying for the Professional Development Award has been extended to March 31 as no one has applied so far.
Support Staff Committee:
· Grandison reported that she has invited Theresa Malone, University Librarian at St. John’s University , to speak at the Annual Conference. Malone will address the support staff which she feels are the “stars and diamonds that make libraries shine and sparkle.” Her talk, “Stars and Diamonds,” will address the exciting array of career choices and possibilities for support staff with many practical ideas.
· Ransom reported that Z.M. Baird had nominated a candidate for the WLA Treasurer’s position, as well as one for the Vice President/President Elect position. Both candidates accepted the nomination.
· The 2008-2009 slate now stands as follows:
President: James Leftwich
Vice President/President Elect: Sharon Rothman (White Plains Public Library)
Secretary: Ann-Marie Cutul
Treasurer: Ed Falcone (Deputy Director, Yonkers Riverfront Library)
· Ransom will make up the ballot which will have a photo and biographical statement by each candidate. Cutul raised the possibility of online voting. She will contact Webmaster Tim Baird.
Vendors: Hopkins reported that she will send vendor information to Tim Baird to post on the website shortly. The fee for each vendor table will be raised from $200 to either $225 or $250.
The fee includes one free lunch. Doubletree can provide up to 40 tables for the vendors.
Raffle: Cutul will solicit raffle prizes. Hopkins will forward information to her about vendor donations.
Registration and Fees: Registration deadline will be April 18 to leave room for a possible registration extension.
The following price structure was agreed upon: Members $60, Non-Members $80, Students $40.
Publicity: President Lindsay suggested we get on more listservs to attract a variety of librarians.
Rao will contact Eller with suggestions.
The meeting was adjourned (Ransom/Hopkins) at 12 Noon.
Upcoming WLA meeting:
Date: Thursday, April 24, 2008
Place: Fordham/Marymount College, Tarrytown
Time: 10 A.M. – 12 Noon