WESTCHESTER LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting
February 28, 2008
Scarsdale Public Library
Present: Diane Batemarco, Cheryl Berent, Aurora Cruz, Ann-Marie Cutul, Harriet Huang, Dulce Juarbe, James Leftwich, Opal B. Lindsay, Srivalli Rao, Jennifer L. Ransom, Sara Rodgers, Judith Rovenger, and Karen Zielinski
Excused: Tim Baird, Zahra M. Baird, Patrick Callahan, Rebecca Eller, Maxine Grandison, John Monahan, Cathy Paulsen, Carolyn Reznick, and Ellen Tannenbaum
The meeting came to order at 10:10. Motion (Rodgers/Zielinski) to accept the Minutes from the January 24 meeting passed.
- Rodgers handed out WLA account statements. As of January 31, 2008, the Checking Account had a closing balance of $15,916.82 and the Savings Account a balance of $19,822.14. Rodgers further reported that Doubletree will only charge WLA $154 for the overnight stay of the keynote speaker at the annual conference.
- Rao reported that WLA has 182 members for 2008. 128 members from 2007 have not renewed yet. Rao also has 40 members from 2006 who have not joined for 2008. They will be included in the renewal mailings scheduled for March 31st. After the Conference the 2006 members will be deleted from the database.
- Rao has e-mailed WLA flyers (Bowling event, Leg Day and WLA/WLS Showcase) to all 2006, 2007 and 2008 members. She has also sent reminders about the Bowling event and will e-mail a reminder about the Showcase one week before the event.
- It was suggested that we contact Library Schools to recruit new members.
Web Administration Committee:
- It was suggested that WLA’s website be reviewed for errors and updates. Ransom pointed out that President Lindsay’s name was spelled incorrectly. Batemarco and Cutul will go over the site and also check for dead links and notify webmaster Tim Baird.
- It was also suggested that we post a “Save the Date” message about the Annual Conference May 9.
- Berent is tentatively planning a reference workshop for the Annual Conference with the theme “I heard it on the IPOD.” She will speak with the rest of the committee members to coordinate her idea with them before finalizing her plans. There may also be a surprise entertainer. Berent suggested that we have a signing translator on hand.
- Cutul reported on behalf of Paulsen who has planned another reference program for the Annual Conference titled “Marketing, Customer Service, and Technology for 21st Century Libraries.” Speakers are Rob Cullin from E-vanced Solutions and Library Consultant Kimberly Bolan.
- Batemarco has secured Beth Evans from Brooklyn College as a speaker for the Annual Conference. Ms. Evans will discuss MySpace, Facebook and YouTube in academic library instruction
Youth Services Section:
- Cutul reported on behalf of Z.M. Baird. Z.M. Baird and Marci Dressler have been working on the WLA/WLS Performers Showcase with Judith Rovenger and John Sexton from WLS. The showcase will take place March 18, 2008, at the Ossining Public Library.
- The Youth Services section is planning two programs for the Annual Conference. One program will be a panel discussion on audio books and alternative formats, titled “Can you hear me now?” The second program has not been finalized yet. Possible speakers are Jon Scieszka, Holly Keller, Neal Porter or Laura Vaccaro Seeger.
Public Relations Committee:
- Craig McMahon has resigned from the committee. Rebecca Eller, library trainee at the Larchmont Public Library, will take his place.
- Juarbe reported that 22 people have signed up for Lobby Day March 11. There is room for eight more. The bus is free for WLS members. WLA has contributed $77.99 towards refreshments on the bus to Albany. Information packets will be e-mailed to attendees ahead of time.
Professional Development Committee:
- Zielinski reported that no one has applied for the Professional Development Award. Deadline has been extended to March 7. Rao will send out reminders. Several Board members suggested that the criteria for receiving the award be reevaluated.
- Huang is contacting academic libraries for updated listings. Tannenbaum is doing the Public Libraries but has an urgent personal commitment at this time. Lindsay will contact Pam Thornton for help since she has the original files and previously worked on the directory.
- Leftwich will ask Tim Baird to create a separate URL for the directory on the WLA website. This URL will only be given to WLA members.
- As a member of the Nominating Committee, Ransom thanked Cutul for agreeing to continue to serve as Secretary. Rodgers said she would be willing to continue to serve as Treasurer but would not mind giving someone else the opportunity. Ransom thanked Rodgers for having served as Treasurer for the past two years, and said she would search for a candidate for Treasurer, as well as a candidate for Vice President/President-Elect.
The 2008-2009 slate now stands as follows:
President: James Leftwich
Vice President/President Elect: To be determined
Secretary: Ann-Marie Cutul
Treasurer: To be determined
- Zielinski has volunteered to be registrar again. Cutul will assist her.
- Leftwich will coordinate the Conference schedule.
- Tracey Jackson will be approached to set up an online follow up Conference survey.
The meeting was adjourned (Rao/Leftwich) at 12 Noon.
Respectfully submitted by Ann-Marie Cutul
Upcoming WLA meeting:
Date: Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Place: Gill Library, The College of New Rochelle
Time: 10 A.M. – 12 Noon
Additional upcoming meetings:
April 24, 2008, at Fordham/Marymount College, Tarrytown
May 9, 2008, Annual Conference at Doubletree, Tarrytown
June 5, 2008, Luncheon meeting, location to be determined