Minutes April 30th, 2009
WESTCHESTER LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting
April 30, 2009
White Plains Public Library
Present: Diane Batemarco, Aurora Cruz, Ann-Marie Cutul, Ed Falcone, Dan Glauber, Harriet Huang, James Leftwich, Opal B. Lindsay, Srivalli Rao, Carolyn Reznick, Sharon Rothman, Judith Rovenger, and Virginia Stromberg
Excused: Tim Baird, Zahra M. Baird, Kate Colquitt, Maxine Grandison, Michelle Meltzer, John Monahan, Cathy Paulsen, and Karen Zielinski
· Leftwich welcomed Virginia (Ginni) Stromberg, the new Co-Chair of the Support Staff Section.
· Leftwich suggested June 11 as the date for the last meeting of the year and the venue, Zanaro’s in White Plains. All agreed.
· Falcone reported that as of April 29, 2009, WLA had $25,675.10 in the Checking Account and $19,862.64 in the Savings Account. He will cut the checks for the Conference Speakers and needs to know the amount for each speaker.
· Rao reported that WLA currently has 205 members. If someone signs up after the Conference, his or her membership will extend through the following year.
· Rao will send out an email to all members after the Conference with the url for the WLA Directory.
Web Administration Committee:
· Leftwich will notify Tim Baird to remove Juarbe from the Legislation Committee and add Stromberg as the Support Staff Co-Chair.
· Batemarco asked on behalf of speaker Acampora if lights can be dimmed during her workshop. Cruz will investigate.
Public Relations Committee:
· Leftwich will write up a press release for Journal News.
· Glauber reported that four legislators will come to the Conference. Amy Paulin and Adam Bradley will come during breakfast, and Adam Bradley and Sandy Galef will come for lunch. Glauber is working out seating arrangements during lunch and appreciates if anyone from the legislative districts would join at the table.
Professional Development Committee:
· Leftwich reported on behalf of Zielinski that there are two candidates for the Professional Development Award. A decision will be made shortly who will be the winner.
Washington Irving Committee:
· DeLuca reported that she had presented Barnes & Noble with items for display but was unsure if they would put them up. She had also contacted Sunnyside, the Village Bookstore in Pleasantville, the Westchester Arts Council, and the Hudson Valley Writers Center. DeLuca has also prepared a press release.
· DeLuca presented a handsomely decorated basket with donated award winning books to be used as a raffle prize, as well some extra books.
· DeLuca asked the Board if the policy was for WLA to pay for the authors’ lunches, and the answer was yes.
· Rothman reported that 135 persons have signed up and paid so far. There will be around 30 free lunches for speakers and guests (authors). Conference receipts will be available at the registration table.
· Cruz needs final count by Tuesday, May 5.
· Falcone will bring his camera to take pictures. He will also ask Susan Thaler to bring her camera, as well.
Issues to be discussed at a future meeting:
· Should speaker guests (spouses, for ex.) pay for their own lunches? Do we continue our policy to subsidize the Washington Irving Author lunches?
· The rate for students to attend the Conference is the same if they are members or not. Is this a good policy?
· The Conference registration form needs to be reworked. The Early Bird pricing produced some complications.
· Should we have a Mid-Winter Conference again?
The meeting was adjourned (Leftwich/Huang) at 12:10.
Respectfully submitted by Ann-Marie Cutul
Date: May 8, 2009
Place: Doubletree Hotel, Tarrytown
Time: 8 A.M. – 4:15 P.M.
Date: Thursday, June 11, 2009
Place: Zanaro’s, 1 Mamaroneck Avenue & Corner of Main Street
Time: 12 Noon