WESTCHESTER LIBRARY ASSOCIATION BYLAWS
NAME, PURPOSE, MEMBERSHIP, AND DUES
1. The name of this organization is the Westchester Library Association, Inc., also known as WLA.
2. Its purpose is to provide for the exchange of ideas and experiences among members and to foster library service to all residents of Westchester County.
3. Any person interested in joining the Association may do so upon payment of the annual dues.
4. Changes to the annual membership dues are proposed by the Board of Directors and must be approved by the members of the Association by ballot.
5. The membership year of the Association begins January 1st and ends on December 31st.
6. The latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall be the Parliamentary Authority on all matters not covered by these Bylaws.
OFFICERS AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS
7. All officers and other members of the Board of Directors must be members of the Association in good standing.
8. The officers of the Association are the President, the Vice-President/President-Elect, the Secretary, and the Treasurer. Each of their terms of office shall be for one year, which begins on July 1st.
9. President: The President is the chief executive officer of the Association and is responsible for managing the business affairs of the Association and for enforcing all resolutions of the Board of Directors. The President shall sign on behalf of the Association all agreements and formal instruments under the seal of the Association, shall preside at all meetings of the Association at which she/he is present, and shall approve all expenditures of monies by the Association. The President is an ex-officio member of every committee of the Association.
10. Vice-President/President-Elect: The Vice-President/President-Elect shall, in the absence or temporary disability of the President, perform the duties and exercise the powers of that office. The primary function of the Vice-President/President-Elect is to arrange the Annual Conference.
11. Secretary: The Secretary notifies the Board of Directors of meetings, keeps minutes of the meetings of the Board and the Association, and conducts correspondence. The Secretary places orders for printing WLA stationery (letterhead and envelopes) as needed and provides it to the members of the Board upon request.
12. Treasurer: The Treasurer receives and deposits in the bank all monies due to the Association, maintains financial records, disburses all monies as the Board may direct, presents a current financial report at every meeting of the Board of Directors and at the Annual Meeting of the members of the Association. The Treasurer shall direct that the Association books be audited as required.
13. Grounds for Dismissal of Executive Officers – Executive Officers can be removed by a petition signed by one-half of the Board members and approved by a two-thirds majority of the Board members.
14. The Board of Directors consists of the following: The President, the Past President, the Vice President/President-Elect, the Secretary, the Treasurer, the Chairs and Co-Chairs of Standing and Ad Hoc Committees, the Chairs and Co-Chairs of Sections, and representatives from the Westchester Library System (WLS), the Westchester Academic Library Directors Organization (WALDO), and from each of the Westchester School Library Systems (BOCES). These representatives shall be appointed by their institutions to serve a full year or longer.
15. Each Board member shall have one vote. Voting may be done electronically provided there is a quorum of at least one third of the Board or nine Board members, whichever is less. Electronic voting results will be ratified at the next meeting and entered in the minutes.
16. Any member of the Association may attend Board meetings, but only members of the Board of Directors shall have voting privileges.
17. The Board formulates and carries out the policies of the Association and is empowered to act for the Association during intervals between meetings of the members of the Association.
18. The Board of Directors shall fill any vacancy by appointing Board member/members to serve the remaining term.
19. The President shall hold at least three meetings of the Board of Directors during the term of office. Board members are expected to make every effort to attend all meetings. A quorum shall constitute at least one third of the Board or nine Board members, whichever is less, present at a Board meeting of the Association.
20. A meeting of the Association shall be held annually. Additional meetings of the Association may be called by the Board of Directors or upon a written petition signed by twenty-five members of the Association and sent to the Secretary.
21. Members of the Association shall be notified of the Annual Meeting date at least 30 days in advance.
22. One fifth of the Association’s membership shall constitute a quorum at membership meetings.
23. The election of officers to the Board of Directors shall take place at the Annual Meeting. A slate prepared by the Nominating Committee shall be submitted to the members of the Association and nominations from the floor are also encouraged. A simple majority is necessary to elect the officers.
24. The President shall appoint the Chairs/Co-Chairs of the following Standing Committees for a term of one or more years.
Cooperation Committee recognizes outstanding efforts in school library/public library cooperation with an award that is presented at the Annual Conference.
Directory Committee compiles, revises, and creates a directory of the Westchester Library Association every other year.
The Exhibits Committee is responsible for organizing the vendor exhibits for the Annual Conference.
Legislation Committee keeps the Association informed of legislative developments, organizes participation in the Annual Library Legislation Day, and with the approval of the Board, sends out invitation to legislators for events sponsored/organized by the Association.
Membership Committee sends membership renewal notices each year, maintains a list of current Association members, and promotes new membership.
Mid-year Conference Committee plans and coordinates the Mid-year Conference.
Nominating Committee, consisting of the President, Past President, and Vice-President/President-Elect, is responsible for preparing a slate of officers to be presented to members of the Association at least thirty days before the Annual Meeting. It shall be the duty of the Committee to obtain consent of all the persons they nominate.
Professional Development Committee, with the approval of the Board of Directors, makes available one or more awards to encourage members of the Association in good standing to attend and participate in upcoming library-related professional development workshops, courses, events, etc., held locally, regionally, or nationally. The award is given to cover all or part of the registration fees, tuition fees, and related travel expenses.
Public Relations Committee is responsible for publicizing the events and activities of the Association to the general public and to interested organizations through mailings, the media, and the Association’s Website.
The Washington Irving Committees honor authors of adult books in alternate years and authors and illustrators of children’s books in alternate years.
The Washington Irving Adult Book Awards Committee, established by the Westchester Library Association, recognizes and honors Westchester County authors and promotes reading. The Committee compiles a selective list of high quality fiction and non-fiction books written between award years by authors who live in Westchester County. The authors of the selected books are honored at the Annual Conference.
The Washington Irving Children’s Book Award Committee, established by the Westchester Library Association and the Westchester Library System, recognizes and honors Westchester County authors and illustrators of children’s books. The Committee is charged with planning and hosting a reception to highlight the recently published works of local authors and illustrators who have written and illustrated books during the two year period between events. The event is co-sponsored by the Westchester Library Association and the Westchester Library System.
Web Administration Committee, chaired by the Web Administrator, shall be responsible for maintaining the Association’s Website and all its parts. This includes a functional message board, all appropriate links, and internal E-mail system for officers. The Committee is also responsible for creating and updating electronic announcements of Association meetings, events, and conferences.
25. The Board of Directors may add or eliminate standing committees at any time. In addition, the President shall appoint ad hoc committees as necessary.
26. A section is a group whose members have common interests. A section may be established at the recommendation of the Board. Chairs and co-chairs of sections shall be appointed by the President. The following sections have been established:
AMENDMENTS TO THE BYLAWS AND CHANGES IN MEMBERSHIP DUES
27. Amendments to the Bylaws and changes in membership dues may be proposed at any time during the membership year. Proposed amendments/changes should be submitted to the Secretary. Notice of the proposed amendments/changes shall be sent to all members of the Association at least thirty days before a vote on the amendments/changes is taken by ballot. A simple majority of the ballots returned shall approve or reject the proposed amendments/changes.
Approved by the members of the Association – (5/2007)
Approved by the members of the Association – (11/2005)
Approved by the WLA Executive Board – (10/2005)